Monday, 6 December 2010

Mould Making

In order to further explore my object and the language of materials I have made a three part mould enabling me to make multiples in a variety of materials.

The first half of the mould was made using a clay wall built around and up to the central line of the cup with particular care around the intricate handle area.  As I poured the plaster into the clay construction, the wall buckled and the plaster escaped.

if at first you don't succeed...try try again.

I rebuilt thicker clay walls and attempted the plaster pouring again on top of the original thin layer which had stuck to the surface of the cup.  I used the same technique to make the mould for the second half of the cup as well as the base.  Where the thin layer of plaster had made the inner part of the handle mould on the first failed attempt at pouring the plaster, it had become weak and the hole through the handle broke off on both sides of the mould.

Using PVA glue I mended the mould and hoped for the best. 

No comments:

Post a Comment