Monday 6 December 2010

Reveal-Capture-Preserve-Value

Although I intend to suspend these objects from beneath a table, I do not mean to say that I am de-valuing the projections of meaning that people place onto things by concealing them.  In fact it is precisely the preservation and value of these projections that I am trying to protect by keeping them as a hidden undertone to the easily accessible ritual.  Going back to the hierarchy of objects on the bookshelf in Barnaby Barford's 'Damaged Goods', I have considered the perceived value of certain materials as a method that I could use to apply so called 'value' to my objects.
'The Girl With The Pearl Earring'
by JohannesVameer (around 1665)

Known as the 'Mona Lisa of the north', 'The Girl With The Pearl Earring' is an iconic image not thought to be a commissioned portrait but rather a 'tronie', the Dutch 17th-century description of a ’head’.  The focal point of the piece is obviously the 'pearl earring' acting as a status symbol carrying the weight of wealth and importance.  I decided that the addition of a single pearl to the string of each wax filled tea bag could visually enrich the connotations of value and significance.











No comments:

Post a Comment